Monday, October 23, 2006

"The Nepal Street Journal"

October 23, 2006

SPORTS:
“That’s another Arkansas Razorback…FIRST DOWN!”
Ok. Ok… Tell me God doesn’t have a sense of humor?

>Pre-departure to Nepal: USC 50, Arkansas 14 (0-1)
Arkansas 20, Utah State 0 (1-1)

>Since arriving in Nepal: Arkansas 21, Vanderbilt 19 (2-1)
Arkansas 24, #23 Alabama 23 (3-1)
Arkansas 27, #2 Auburn 10 (4-1)
#17 Arkansas 63, Missouri State 7 (5-1)
#15 Arkansas 38, Ole Miss 3 (6-1)

Clearly, we are off to the best start in Razorback football history since the time that Clint Stoerner decided to hand the Volunteers the biggest game of the year by using the football to catch his balance after a bad snap, and thus, blowing a 14-3 lead (Tennessee would go on to win the National Championship that year; Arkansas was 8-0 going in to the game and would finish 9-2). Maybe, just maybe, we can do a little better against Tennessee!

I have had to keep telling myself, “God’s timing is perfect. God’s timing is perfect.”

I AM MISSING ONE OF THE BIGGEST SEASONS OF RAZORBACK FOOTBALL! …and God waited until we left to make it interesting…Life is rough! I am, thus, that much closer to experiencing true suffering like Paul mentioned in his letters.
Trent: He has answered your prayers, indeed!

-----------

Letter from the Editor:
Some of my readers have been following along with my Journey to Nepal, while simultaneously teasing their “itching ears” with the “thoughtless ramblings” of my blog counterpart, The Bear…
(also see: http://thoughtlessramblings.blogspot.com; Krystal Hayes©)

…Now, I confess that I, like most of you, as I sip on my morning fresh Café Latte, eagerly await the newest edition of “The Bear: Lost in Translation...or “The Bear gets diarrahea 14 times in a 3 hour span”…or, my personal favorite, “iPod Dancin’ in downtown Kathmandu to the tune of Michael Jackson’s ‘Black or White’.” And, I do this all while giggling like a little school boy. But, I must interject here. As of recently, my eyes have seen some outlandish comments that must remain hidden behind truth no longer. So, as I bring my rival back down to the planet that he was birthed from (at least, I think), I would like to expose these toxic and hyper exaggerated statements. First things first…

1) If you want to know the real “scaredy cat”: mention to Jordan as he is slipping in to his sheets about Crab Spiders. He will get skirmish like a pack of wild mice.
2) When electricity failed us again, I took the opportunity to scare Jordan himself as he climbed the stairs blindly. He never saw it coming!
3) “Next Time: Jason fights in a gladiator ring to save the life of an Indian princess!” This was posted at the end of a blog to excite you about a future post. I have yet to see the article, or the event as it happened in real life, to be honest.
4) Cost of a Subway Sandwich in a Delhi airport: $350…???...a bit too high buddy.

Oh, Jordan…how I love your ways!

-----------

PHILANTHROPY COLUMN:
I would like to personally thank everybody that has contributed in some form or fashion for the kids at the Children’s Welfare Center. CWC (that’s us) is only supported by a few private contributors around the world. They receive no financial help from the government or any agencies at all. For this reason, they have been really tight in spending their money. Most of the kids’ basic needs are covered first. Then, if there is money remaining the kids get to do something fun. On our way over we brought with us several coloring books, art supplies, and games that were provided from generous givers like yourself. Thanks…thanks…thanks!!! And from the kids: THANKS! Whether you have given in monthly support to me or directly to the orphanage, your gift is making a positive impact here across the globe in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Three weeks ago, we toured a local orphanage nearby. There, God gave us a lot of great ideas to help the kids here in the orphanage. They had a room designated each for TV, games, studying, reading, music lovers, and origami crafters. Okay, I made the last one up! Here, at CWC, we only really have a common room with a TV, where everyone hangs around. Aside from the kids’ bedrooms, there are a few “storage” rooms. We might just have to transform into our alter egos from Extreme Home Makeover. I’ll let you decide which person qualifies as Ty Pennington.
Jordan and I want the kids here to have a study/ reading room where they can go for some peace and quiet. Our plans include buying a table or two, a few comfy chairs, and an assortment of educational books for the children’s enjoyment. We also have hopes of remodeling another room into a game/ sports room. This room will be equipped with bowling, darts, crafts, legos, and other fun kids stuff. Right now we are financially pinned on the project discussed later, but can’t wait to start this one.
On Thursday, Jordan and I bought some kids’ games and puzzles. Our 4 week long search finally came to an end. We purchased a plastic bowling set, a bucket of legos, batman puzzle, magnetic dart set (I was afraid that if I got the real sharp dart set, that I might “accidentally” misguide one into the back of one of my close American friends…I won’t mention any names), and a SpiroGraph among a few other fun things. Remember the SpiroGraph, friends? I had one when I was a kid. The nostalgia was so great, I almost cried when I saw it in the store.
On Friday, Rina, Jordan, and I rode into town together to price blankets, bed sheets, and pillows for each child. When asked what the kids needed most and first of all, Rina mentioned these. Hopefully, next week, after the deshai festival, we will be able to get a cheaper price. Right now, we are looking at a complete, adequate bed set for all 52 kids for about $400. Not too bad at all. Just so you know…the kids each have a pillow and a small blanket, so they are not without, but they desperately need to be replaced, and especially before the winter weather hits. It excites me to be able to see the kids helped out in this way! Thanks, to YOU!
Everything mentioned we would not have been able to do without your help. You can know that your sacrificial giving is a blessing to children here at CWC.

----------

OBITUARIES:
The 5th generation iPod, birthed by Apple Inc, passed away last Monday at 8:45 AM after a traumatic fall. Survivors include Jordan Greenwald, aka The Bear. Funeral services have already taken place (note: see http://thebearinnepal.blogspot.com). iPod, We will miss your oh so sweet music.

Update: We have trusted in Christ’s resurrection power and we saw the fullness of that power raise iPod from the dead and bring it completely back to life. All functions have been fully restored. Thank you for your prayers and support.

----------

CLASSIFIED ADS:
FOR SALE: 1998 Toyota 4Runner. 160,000 miles. Good cond. Leather, sunroof, pw/pl, tinted windows, towing package, 4x4, Cd, air/ heat work GREAT. Needs new tires and brakes. For further questions, please email: jboxhayes@gmail.com. Asking $7,999.

HELP WANTED: part-time volunteers to aid in children’s orphanage and a chance to see long lost friends…OR…just board a plane and come visit us next week. We will never forget it!!!

----------

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
Over the past two weeks I have been following a few older guys from CWC to their school at 8:00am to join them in a game of 5 on 5 basketball against their fellow Nepali students. It’s always fun, as I never miss a chance to shoot hoops. Furthermore, God has given me a few friendships with other “outsiders” (those not residing at CWC) and I am anxious to see how He will use me in the future. This type of relational ministry breaks the mold for me. Being a person with little relational skills, I frequently struggle when it comes to making new friends. On the other hand, it is amazing how natural and easy it is when you are doing something that you love and just pulling guys in to join you.

----------

RELIGION AND SPIRITUALITY:
Yesterday was HUGE!!!
We have finally been set free from isolation…well…somewhat. Yesterday Rina dropped us off at an international church here in Kathmandu. Our search for a church body with a service in English is FINALLY over! It was so refreshing to walk into a service with a body of believers. All first time attendees were asked to share where they were from. In a room of 300 people over 30 stood up. China, Hong Kong, Philippines, Britain, Australia, US, Thailand, Africa—the room was filled with such diversity! A traveling speaker brought in from India gave a humbling message on being Christ’s ambassadors in a dark world. It wasn’t sugar coated, but straight from the Word, and the Word only. The worship was moving; we recognized all the songs! Afterward, on American man, Fred (45-50 yr. old), asked us if we wanted to go to lunch with him and his wife and other American church goers. Without hesitation, we quickly accepted the invitation. You will not believe the place they took us.
We ended up walking down the street from the church, up some stairs, and into a CHRISTIAN CAFÉ. For our new church friends, the café to them was like what Acambaro is to Fellowship—the after church lunch hangout. We met up with a dozen other Americans (who all attend the church) and were able to share a Café Mocha and a Breakfast burrito (for real) with them. We instantly felt welcome. One lady has been here 10 years working in children homes and was able to give us great advice. Fred and his wife, Cindy, have been here 5. They showed us a great place to buy Bibles and great Christian books. We are meeting Fred at 9:30 on Thursday morning to sit in on a men’s time in the Word. I am so ready for this!!!
The café, known as their usual hangout had games, books, great food, and will be getting wireless internet next month. I have been looking for a place to be able to sit and read during the day. I am VERY, VERY excited! We will be back!
Praise God for such a great day! All of a sudden we have several friends in the LORD that we can share life and experiences and struggles with. Thanks for praying!

4 comments:

Jess said...

hahaha! great post! you crack me up with the football. I am sorry you guys are missing it but because you are, God is adding to your treasure in heaven. haha Just think, you will have a big gold football or something. I am so glad you found an english church. I still very much miss that! Enjoy it for me!

taylorius said...

is that from a movie?

Anonymous said...

jason...this was quite possibly my favorite blog yet! you're pretty much awesome. oh, and thanks for the shout out-i will try to soothe your itching ears..i dont know if you were referring to jordans blog on this part or mine, but i know you are just dying to hear more of my thoughtless rattlings. yeah, uhm, ok. buh bye. i love you!

the bear said...

Jason's a liar... He did too fight in a gladiator ring, but he's just too modest to admit it to you people. Also, he's gotten married twice since we arrived in this country, but neither of the girls are aware that they are being two-timed. O Spirit, that thine intercession might be swift, accurate, and incapacitating, for the sake of my wanting to steal Jason's new camera. Amen.