Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Proberbs 4:18

Proverbs 4:18

“But the path of the just is as the shining light that shineth more and more unto the Perfect Day.”

(At some point in my time in Kathmandu, I memorized this Scripture. It was a verse written at the bottom of a page of my journal. The more that I have studied this passage, the more I have become joyful in the hope of Christ’s return.)

Living in a busy, fast paced society tends to act as an agent that takes our focus and attention away from the only thing worthy of all of it; Jesus Christ. For that reason, I chose to memorize this verse and I continue to find it very rewarding whenever the Spirit refreshes my mind with its message.

The “just”, or those who have a relationship with the only LORD and Savior Jesus Christ, will one day stand before God with all creation and give an account for their lives. Those who have placed their faith in Christ, the elect, will be justified in that they will receive eternal life with Christ—what we know as justification by faith—and they will be pronounced “not guilty” due solely to Jesus’ sacrifice on the Cross. God, in His perfect holiness gives us a gift that we do not deserve. And the dying to self that is mentioned in Luke 9:23 is an appropriate response that we live in thanks to our King.

Here on earth we can not comprehend the fullness of His Glory. We see glimpses of it through sunsets and mountains, the image of lifestyle worship lived out, and unconditional Love. But, the fullness of God’s Glory has not been revealed to us…yet. For our fallen, sinful bodies and minds can not handle the fullness of God.

So, our (the just) “path” is like a light that shines brighter and brighter as Jesus’ return draws near, when the True Light of the world will be revealed in His Fullness. One day we will live in the presence of a Holy God and that Perfect Day will be better than anything imaginable on earth.

As I was on a crowded bus headed towards the center of town, the Spirit in his greatness dropped this verse in my mind. It was a little past 7 am, and due to a late night, I was tired. But, then came these words, “but the path of the just is like the shining light that shineth more and more unto the Perfect Day.” And that promise began to sink in. One Day I will completely see the GLORY of the LORD and I will be captivated by it.

That is something to hope in; to live my life for!

1 comment:

taylorius said...

I like your words and quotes. The promise of seeing God's glory really helps put me at ease with all the small things that I stress over. I think if I knew more about the afterlife (and completely believed it) I would not get stressed by anything.

Miss you man.