Tuesday, February 13, 2007

“I am now Jason Hayes, the siksak” (eh um…nepali for teacher)

As I wrote last week about resolving to be more involved “outside” the orphanage, I felt as if God was asking me to do one thing specifically.

On Sunday, February 6, 2007 Jordan and I met with a group of friends at Nathan’s flat. We had planned to watch the Superbowl early the next morning (5:30am to be exact…and I must add that we were able to project the screen onto the wall…who knew I would be watching the Superbowl on a 50 inch screen in Nepal….but that’s another story). On Sunday night, as the group mentioned prayer requests, Nathan brought up the need for an English Teacher at his Bible College. The job would be strictly volunteer work and would only last until the end of May. He or she would teach two days a week for an hour each. The focus: to build confidence in Nepalis to allow them to engage more in conversation with others.

Like I said, God had placed this opportunity on my heart. I told Nathan that he could count on me. I leaped out over the ledge and am trusting Christ.

I start today (Tuesday: in less than 3 hours)! I will be teaching a class of 15 college-aged adults. The age group is one that I am a little unfamiliar with, and have little experience, as all of my previous experiences have involved an elementary age group. Nonetheless, I want to teach math when I return and view this as an opportunity to gain wisdom in a field that I have little experience (The planning and implementation of teaching skills are a requisite for what I will need to know in the future). Furthermore, and more importantly, I will be developing relationships with students who desire to know Christ. This is the future of Nepal. These students attend the Bible College with hopes of becoming pastors and leaders among their people. Even though I am not teaching them the Word, per se—they have other classes with other teachers educating them—God has given me an opportunity to help them learn a language that, in return, will give them many opportunities in the future as well.

Please pray that I, like Solomon, will have wisdom from God to discern how to engage these Nepali students most effectively.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

jason...i mean mr. hayes, i have nothing but the highest level of faith in you as a teacher. you are going to be great! just make sure you teach them three things. woo.pig.soiee. ok? ok! love you!